Software testing tools facilitate the testing of various activities right from requirement gathering, planning, software build creation and rendering, test operations, defect logging, and test analysis. These tools are helpful in testing software reliability, robustness, and other main performance parameters. Using an automated software testing tool helps you automate and align your testing activities, reduce testing time,gain better insights into your software testing operations, and simplify the bug fixing process. With plenty of software testing solutions available in the market, it becomes a bit of a struggle to choose the best software testing solutions for your product. This article consists of top Software Testing Tools that you will find useful for your product.
But, before that let’s first understand what software testing is and what are the key factors that you need to consider before selecting a software testing tool.
What is Software Testing?
Software Testing is described as a process to check whether the actual or developed software product meets the expected needs and ensures that it performs flawlessly. It is imperative for a Quality Assurance team to perform software testing to ensure that the product is free from all sorts of technical errors, bugs, glitches, and viruses.
Key Factors to Consider Before Choosing Software Testing Tools
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Easy to maintain
- Proactive and reliable customer support
- Easy creation of test scripts.
- Client’s preference of the software testing solution.
- Hardware/Software requirements of the application testing solution.
- The software update and support service policy.
- The cost of the software license, if applicable.
- The overhead cost of training users on testingsoftware.
- User reviews of the company that created the software.
List of Top Software Testing Tools
WebLOAD is a powerful software testing tool that provides high-end scripting features that are useful for testing complicated cases. This testing tool supports hundreds of technologies ranging from Selenium to enterprise application, mobile to web protocols. You can generate load in the cloud as well as on-premises using this tool.
- WebLOAD helps in creating load test scenarios more efficiently.
- You can also identify performance killers in your software using over 80 report types and graphs generated by WebLOAD.
- The tool generates load from Amazon EC2 to run performance testing from the cloud.
More than 14,000 users across the globe are using Ranorex Studio to improve software testing. It is an all-in-one testing tool for cross-platform test automation. Ranorex is beginner-friendly as it comes with the codeless click-and-go user interface, however, it is the best tool for automation specialists with a full IDE.
- Common object library and reusable code modules
- Ensures high-end object identification for dependable tests and lower maintenance
- Testing for multiple browsers
- Automates complex user interfaces like legacy applications, SAP, ERP, and Delphi.
- Perform tests simultaneously or share on a Selenium Grid
- In-built reporting
- Integration with applications for CI/CD, BDD, source control, test management, defect-identification, and much more to build a complete software test automation toolchain.
TestRail is one of the robust software testing applicationsfor customizable, scalable, and web-based test case management. This tool enables experts to enter test cases, arrange test suites, perform test runs, and monitor their results.
- Easy and efficient management of manual and automated test cases, plans, and executions.
- It comes with comprehensive dashboards, metrics, and activity reports that provide real-time insights into testing progress.
- You can document test cases with the help of screenshots and desired results. It comes with flexible built-in templates or you can create your custom templates if required.
- You can leverage milestones, to-do lists, and email notifications to improve efficiency.
- This tool can be seamlessly integrated with tools in your CI/CD/DevOps pipeline such asJenkins, JIRA, TFS, Bugzilla, etc.
- It also offers enterprise editions for large-scale teams andgoal-oriented projects.
- It supportsDocker containers.
When it comes to browser compatibility testing software, Browsera is the first choice of test experts. It allows for testingwebsites and their elements in various standard browsers. You can use this testing tool to test websites and web pages for layout and scripting errors.
- It allows you to automatically detect cross-browser layout problems by comparing each browser’s results.
- It comes with a site crawling feature that eases testing of all the pages of one website.
If you’re looking for a solution for defect or issue tracking along with efficient project management, then JIRA is one of the best software testing tools. It is used for recording and reporting issues along with integrating with the code development environment.
- It comes with anIRA Query Language that is used to create quick filters with just a single click.
- You can find and install plug-and-play add-ons from The Atlassian Marketplace to meet the requirements of all types of cases.
- You can create tailored workflows of any size which is useful for software build, test, and release.
6. W3C CSS Validator
Another testing tool on this list of best software testing tools in 2021 is W3C CSS Validator. It is a free software by the W3C that helps web designers and developers to check their CSS. Using this validation tool, users can detect errors or incorrect use of CSS.
- W3C CSS validator recognizes many browser extensions and prefixes
- It comes with an integrated web browser that allows browsing and checking of websites at the same time.
- It checks for and notifies accessibility issues to restrict people from accessing that page.
It is an open-source software testing tool for mobile application automation. It allows users to test all sorts of mobile, web, native, and hybrid applications. The tool also supports automated tests on both simulators and emulators.
- It allows you to test the application that is going to be available in the marketplace.
- Being a simple tool, it requires very little memory for executing the test process.
- You can test native apps without requiring an SDK as Appium offers standard automation APIs that are compatible with all types of platforms.
SoapUI is one of the best software testing solutions used for functional testing of SOAP and REST APIs. It is a cross-platform, open-source web service testing tool that allows you to write, run, integrate, and automate advanced API Tests easily. This tool is mainly used for performing load and functional testing on API.
- It offers an easy-to-use GUI.
- It comes with a vulnerability testing feature that keeps your website secure from malware and hackers.
- SoapUI’s SQL Injection feature offers standard SQL queries and methods that identify the weak areas of the software.
- It offers a built-in reporting feature that helps you to do a comprehensive analysis.
This is a popular security testing tool that scans websites, web apps, and web services for all existing as well as potential security vulnerabilities. It is the ultimate scanner tool that automatically identifies and verifies vulnerabilities, giving evidence of concept.
- It is a cost-effective and maintenance-free solution for the security of web applications.
- It is a fully customizable web vulnerability scanner available online.
- You can seamlessly integrate this security testing tool with Web Security Scanning in Software Development lifecycle.
- Enterprise-grade collaboration is supported by this software testing tool.
It is a simple and accessible manual software testing tool that focuses more on pragmatism than the process. Rather than handling cases one at a time, the tool employs checklist-driven test plans that adapts to various styles such as the syntax-focused BDD, exploratory testing, the manual aspect of Agile, and conventional test case management.
- Guest software test experts are sent invitations via email.
- Simple and easy-to-use, you need to get everyone to help at launch time.
- Test plans are organized as drag’n’drop.
- You can add new tests while testing.
- Seamlessintegration with issue trackers such as JIRA.
It is an open-source, mobile testing tool used by enterprises. It is very easy to use and can extend within a specific working environment. This mobile test recorder tool enables you to build UI tests for mobile app solutions with no writing of code.
- Espresso has a simple to use workflow.
- It ensures reduced mobile testing flakiness.
- It provides quick and consistent feedback to developers.
- It is easy to develop Espresso test automation.
It is an automated testing tool that automatically validates the user experience and looks and feel of the websites and applications. AppliTools can be easily and seamlessly integrated with the existing tests, thus saving you from creating a new test.
- This QA tool facilitates cross-browser tests on multiple devices.
- Users can obtain detailed and interactive visual test reports.
- It provides user access management
- The application is available as an on-premise or a cloud service.
Watir is one of the best software testing tools, which is an open-source cross-platform web app testing tool.It is a flexible and reliable automation tool for Ruby libraries for browser automation. This tool talks with a web browser by clicking links, filling out forms, and validating inputted text.
- It is available free of cost.
- It is backed by a proactive and ever-growing community.
- This QA tool is compatible with various browsers on different platforms.
- It is a robust, yet lightweight testing tool.
This high-end software test management tool provides full visibility and control over the software testing process and helps you better understand the test results.
- It is a highly customizable and flexible tool that meets the ever-changing requirements of Quality Assurance teams such as permissions, views, customize fields, issue workflows, etc.
- It offers a plethora of third-party integrations along with automation tools, bug trackers, and powerful APIs for the rest.
- You can reuse tests and comparetest results across various products and releases.
- It comes with unique hierarchical filter trees that let you organize and findthings quickly.
- With Practitest, you don’t need to spend double efforts as it comes with anti-bug duplicates, call to test, permutations, and step parameters.
- It offers comprehensive dashboards and reports that help you visualize data.
- It comes with rapid and professional support.
The last one on this list of best software testing applications is Selenium which is the best choice for software testing activities. It employs the Selenium Webdriver automation framework that performs robust automation tests. It is the most preferred tool amongst organizations as it is compatible with different languages and can be easily integrated with any testing framework.
- It supports parallel test execution that lowers the time consumed in running parallel tests.
- Selenium requires only a few resources as compared to other manual software testing software.
- You can create test cases that can run on any Operating System.
So, these are some of the best software testing tools that you can leverage to automate and ease your software testing. However, there are many other leading automated software testing applicationsavailable in the software testing industry that may be useful for your software testing needs. DevOps, Agile, and other modern-day software or application development methodologies are supporting the importance of software testing throughout the SDLC. Using automated software testing applicationssignificantly reduces the time and effort spent on testing your product.
You may use these most trending automated software testing softwares to streamline and automate your software testing processes, quickly create test plans, analyze test results, make result-driven decisions, and ensure that your actual software product is bug and glitch-free.
Have you used any of the aforementioned software testing solutions? What application testing tool will be your first choice? Are there any other best software testing tools that you want to add to this given list? If so, you can share it here below. Also, you can mention what are the prominent qualities that you expect from software testing applications.